Inspired by this post from Paul, over at The Captain’s Speech, I thought I would create my own list. Can I list out 101 things?
It had better include me…
Yes, it will include you.
1. My family. Less of a like and more of a love (obviously!). I am fortunate enough to have a loving family, and I am eternally grateful for them and to them.
2. The Lion King. This is obvious to anyone who knows me.
3. Star Trek. Again, obvious.
4. Star Wars. I am a geek.
5. Doctor Who. Yeaaaah.
I’m not seeing me on this list yet…
Oh be quiet. Moving on…
6. The Bacon Double Cheese Burger from Burger King. Any burger that’s the size of your head is a worthy burger, and this is the best piece of fast food out there. It can be made healthy if ordered with an orange juice.
7. The Marvel Cinematic Universe. I mean come on, the scope of what they are doing is remarkable. It’s worthy of being liked!
8. Writing fan fiction. I don’t do this nearly enough.
9. Pigs in blankets. Simply put, mini sausages wrapped in bacon. Traditionally only eaten at Christmas, and they are gorgeous.
10. Formula 1. There’s nothing quite like it. Fast cars, thrills, spills and high drama.
Ahem. Am I not even worthy of placing in the top ten?
I told you, there’s no set order. Besides, I mentioned The Lion King already.
11. Liverpool FC. This is something of a ‘love/hate’ relationship, but in the end, I always come back, no matter what they put me through.
12. The Legend of Zelda. Not every game in this series has been an outright classic, but there’s more gold than coal here, and the standout game in the series for me, A Link to the Past, is the best game of all time.
13. Nintendo in general. I just love them. They’re awesome.
14. Roast lamb. This is simply gorgeous. Cooked properly, it melts in your mouth.
15. Cadburys. You can keep your Hershey nonsense, I want real chocolate, and that’s Cadburys for me. Boost bars, YUM.
16. Terminator 2. One of the few occasions where a sequel has been as well received as the original.
17. Old Speckled Hen Ale. Henry, this shout out is for you, and your fine ale!
18. Ale in general. I don’t mind lager, but ale has depth and flavour that lager just cannot match.
19. Game of Thrones. Just don’t get attached to any of the characters.
20. Coffee. This is one of a trilogy of great gifts that humankind has given itself.
21. Cuddling. Sometimes, left can be made just a little bit better by snuggling up to someone you love.
22. The Star Trek vs Star Wars debate. Yeah, it’s frivolous, but I don’t care. It’s provided some stimulating conversation down the years and I’ve enjoyed it.
23. Peanut Butter. Just wow. This stuff is addicitive.
24. Bacon. Part 2 of the trilogy. In fact, it’s part 3, but I’m not going to tell you what part 1 actually is.
25. My daughter’s laughter. There is something therapeutic and uplifting about hearing my little girl laugh, especially when she’s hysterically chortling. It is hilarious and brilliant.
26. Storks. This animated film is an unexpected hit for me. It’s surprisingly emotional and very funny.
27. Summer. The warmth of the sun, the sweet smell of flowers in bloom, and an excuse to get out the barbecue. Definitely preferred over winter.
28. My job. Yes, I like my job. It’s thoroughly enjoyable!
29. Trains. To some, trains are Victorian relics, but to me, they are the most romantic form of travel. It’s exciting!
30. Rail maps. Related to the above. I just like looking at them.
31. Timon. See, you made it!
So why Timon? He’s a neurotic yet fun and outgoing guy. So 1 out of 3 ain’t bad?
Sadly we had to say goodbye to this wonderful and loving cat in 2016, but she will never be forgotten. She always had time for a cuddle, and never turned down space on someone’s lap. She was always happy, and very gentle.
33. Chinese takeaway. I need to be good this year. If I can get into a good shape my wife will let me open my Star Wars Micro Machines, so I will need switch to protein-rich foods like eggs and chicken, and curb takeaways. This. Will. Be. Tough. Sweet and sour chicken balls, egg fried rice, shredded duck and pancakes… drool.
34. Bananas. My favourite fruit.
35. Lions. These majestic animals carry such power. They are ferocious, yet you can look at them and see in them the behaviour of your average housecat, which never fails to amaze me. Like their feline cousins tigers, lions need protecting.
36. Australia. I went there once, all the way back in 2004, and if I had the means to retire there one day, I would. It’s a beautiful country (just watch out for all the things that can kill you), and a place I would love to see again.
37. Super Mario Kart. The original SNES version is still the best for me, but there is something to be said for playing it online (my wife may disagree with me here, given the sailor’s language I use whilst playing!).
38. Football Manager. Like Mario Kart, this is capable of inducing rage, but when you’re winning it feels very good!
39. London. Don’t get me wrong, the city can be a stressful place, but London has so much history, found in every corner, and it fascinates me.
40. I’m struggling now. Indian food. It’s gorgeous.
41. I’m not going to name all my friends, but to each and everyone of you, you have touched my life in a variety of ways, and thank you.
So, I’ve made it to 41. I am completely stuck for more.
It’s late and my Brian is fried! For now, this is the list. If I think of more stuff I’ll add it.